Your refrigerator is among the most important appliances in your house, and it is essential that it is in working order. If your Frigidaire refrigerator has a problem, it displays an error code to let you know the nature of the malfunction.
This handy guide outlines the meanings of the main Frigidaire refrigerator error codes and gives you advice about how to solve them.
This guide covers all major models of Frigidaire refrigerators, including:
Error code OP
This error code indicates that the refrigerator door is open. If it is displayed on the freezer, it indicates that the freezer door is open. If it is displayed when both doors are shut firmly, it could mean an issue with the temperature sensor is causing the refrigerator to incorrectly sense that a door is open. To fix this error code:
- Turn off the power to your refrigerator and then locate the refrigerator temperature sensor (or the freezer temperature sensor if this is where the error was displayed).
- Inspect the wiring between the sensor and the electronic control board once it has been located.
- If you see any loose wires, reconnect these.
- If all the wiring looks fine, disconnect the temperature sensor.
- Using a multimeter, test whether the temperature sensor is functioning.
- If the wiring has a problem, it must be repaired before the OP error code disappears. If the multimeter test shows that the sensor is not functioning, it will need to be replaced.
Error code SH
This error code means that the refrigerator temperature sensor has shorted out if the code is seen on the screen of your refrigerator’s temperature display. If it is displayed on the freezer, it means the same thing but applies to the freezer temperature sensor.
To fix this:
- Unplug your refrigerator and locate the temperature sensor (if the error code was on the freezer display, you will need to locate the freezer temperature sensor).
- Check for any loose wires. If you find any, reconnect them.
- If you can’t see any loose wires, disconnect the sensor.
- Using a multimeter, test the temperature sensor for continuity. If it is not working, it will need to be replaced. You can order a replacement part from the manufacturer.
Error code SY EF
This code means the evaporator fan circuit has a problem. Warm air from the refrigerator is drawn out and blown over the evaporator coils by the evaporator fan. Cool air is forced back into the refrigerator compartment after being cooled by the liquid refrigerant in the evaporator coils, which absorbs heat. The refrigerator won’t keep cold if the evaporator fan is not operating.
To fix this issue:
- Check the evaporator fan wire harness connection after unplugging the refrigerator.
- If the wiring harness plug is loose, reconnect it.
- Check the evaporator fan wire connections to the electronic control board.
- Check whether the wire harness connection in the refrigerator is sound.
- The evaporator fan should be replaced if the wiring connections are sound.
- You should replace the electronic control board if the issue persists.
Error code SY CE or SY CF
This error code happens when the primary control board (the computer in the refrigerator) and the user interface board (display panel) are unable to communicate. Potential causes include:
- Faulty, loose, or damaged wiring.
- An unreliable display screen.
- A bad control panel.
Inspection of the wiring and individual testing of the relevant components is required to identify this issue. You may need to replace the control board in order to clear this error.
Error code DF
This error means the defrost circuit has an issue.
Your refrigerator’s defrost cycle is started by the defrost control board. Depending on the age and model of your refrigerator, it can have a manual defrost timer or an adaptive defrost control. In any case, the refrigerator cannot execute a defrost cycle if the board is defective.
Your refrigerator needs to periodically defrost in order to keep important parts from freezing over.
To fix this issue, check the functionality of the following components:
- The main control board
- The defrost control board
- The wiring harness
If any of the components are not functioning, they will need to be replaced in order to clear the error code.
Error code SB
This code means that the refrigerator is in Sabbath Mode.
Sabbath Mode is a feature that disables certain of the refrigerator’s features to accommodate the Orthodox Jewish community’s observance of the weekly Sabbath and religious holidays. It is possible for the refrigerator to be accidentally placed into Sabbath Mode by someone pressing the wrong button or from a child fiddling with the refrigerator control panel.
The refrigerator’s control panel, lights, and ice maker will not work when it is in Sabbath mode. The freezer and refrigerator will keep cooling regularly.
Thankfully, it is an easy fix if your Frigidaire refrigerator displays this error code.
To fix this issue:
Press and hold the “V” and “+” buttons simultaneously for five seconds to turn off Sabbath mode.